The Gender Alliance for Development Center (GADC) (ex-Women’s Center) was set up in 1994 as part of a project of “Refleksione” (Reflections), funded by the Women’s Program of the Open Society Institute for Albania (Soros). In June 1995, by decision of the Tirana District Court, it was formally registered on the basis of article 55 Law 7850, dates 28.07.1994 on the Civil Code of the Republic of Albania. The GADC was registered on 4 March 2002 according to the New NGO Law in Albania.
Gender Alliance for Development Center is a non-for-profit organization established in 1995. It aims at creating equal opportunities between the sexes through: gender sensitive information, studies, research, advocacy, lobbying, and training courses under a gender perspective.
The GADC mission is fulfilled through:
- Collecting and processing opinions and views of groups that benefit from the planning, implementation and evaluation of different projects;
- Raising the awareness of different groups on gender issues, while providing them with a new perspective; addressing problems that Albanian women face in different areas, such as: poverty, low participation in decision-making, domestic violence, trafficking, low access for information, etc;
- Gathering, processing and distributing information on social issues;
- Consolidating the network of collaborators all over Albania;
- Studying social problems from a gender perspective;
- Promoting and supporting women participation in decision-making; increasing the beneficiaries’ number (organizations and individuals) through expanding and improving services provided.